Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Summer Staycation - My Tips

As much as we all would love to go on a huge vacation every Summer, sometimes it just isn't in the cards! Here's the kicker: just because you're not going on a big trip doesn't mean that you can't play tourist in your surrounding cities and have a blast! While I'm throwing around the idea of planning an August weekend getaway, for the past two months of Summer I have embraced the staycation idea and let me tell you, I have made some of the most fun memories! With that being said, I want to give you some tips about how you can make the rest of this August a fun one without spending money on airfare & hotel expenses. 

  1. Make a list. To start off, it's best to make a list of the places you want to go & things you want to do. This list can be written down or typed in the notes section of your phone, just put it in a spot where you can easily reference it. I love having a list because after I go someplace I can put a check mark next to it. At the end of Summer it's fun to see all those checks, each with a whole set of memories! 
  2. Deciding where to Staycation. Sometimes the trickiest thing is deciding what places to put on your list. If you're having trouble, remember that going someplace can involve doing completely different activities. Think, do I want to try a new restaurant? Do I want to check out the new outdoor shopping mall in a nearby city? Since I live near the coast, I personally love visiting all the coastal towns! Some other ideas may be visiting a famous spot/landmark and being touristy or getting appetizers at a fancy hotel. Just think about your interests and let those guide your decisions as to where to go for the day. You will be surprised with what you come up with. 
  3. Take Advantage of the Internet. If you still are having a hard time deciding places to go or things to do, the internet is your best friend! I usually have an idea of what city I want to go to, but have a hard time deciding what to do there. For those struggling with this issue, search "Things to do in ___" on Google or even head to Pinterest!! Just don't get distracted with all those other non-day trip related things you want to re-pin ;) 
  4. Dress Appropriately. This may seem kind of obvious, but be cautious with what you decide to wear for a day trip. I can't count the number of times I've regretted wearing a certain article of clothing or wished I had brought a specific item. If you know that you're going to be gone all day (and possibly after dark), make sure to dress accordingly. Bring a jacket or sweater in the car in case it gets cold after dark, an umbrella if there is any sign of rain in the forecast, or a different pair of shoes (you never know when you could randomly decide to eat dinner at a nice restaurant after playing tourist all day!!)...the list could go on and on. 
  5. Take Tons of Pictures. Even if your staycation involves going to places you've been before, make sure to document the trips! This way, if your friends come back from a bigger trip and are posting a ton of photos on Instagram, you have something to share too! Just because you didn't go on an expensive tropical getaway doesn't mean that you sat at home and did nothing. Be proud of all the memories you made while being closer to home. Plus, you will love being able to look back on the photos later.
Hopefully you found these tips helpful! Thanks for reading & have a fun staycation!
xoxo Kendall 


No comments:

Post a Comment